Monday, May 02, 2011

Ding Dong, The Dick Is Dead (aka Rot in Hell, Osama bin Laden)

By "Pintface" Pete Bogs/BogsBlog

I’m no flag-waver. I don’t get a lump in my throat when the “Star-Spangled Banner” is played, nor do I recite the Pledge of Allegiance. But seeing the jubilant crowds that spontaneously appeared outside the White House, at Ground Zero and other places after the announcement of Osama bin Laden’s death, I couldn’t help but be overcome.

We Americans, even those who did not lose a loved one on 9/11, have carried a shared torment with us since that horrific day. And while I believe that will always be so (or at least as long as there are people alive who remember that day), the torment has abated ever so slightly with the news that the mastermind has gotten his. I felt it, and I’ll take it.


This does not end the threat of terrorism in the U.S. and worldwide; in fact, it may stoke more hatred for Americans among some circles. It does not end the liquid restrictions on airplanes. All that crap remains in place. But again, something has definitely changed for the better. I'm going to savor the feeling while I can.

I once again find myself compelled to say “Thank you, Mr. President.” I’d long been convinced that finding bin Laden was no longer part of the mission; from this development and a few specifics President Obama mentioned last night, it’s clear that was not the case.

2 comments:

Bird said...

Glad to see you're still blogging Bogs!

I couldn't take any pleasure in this development - only relief. relief that bin Laden was gone and relief that the whole job was done so well - our guys were safe.

Although I understood the celebration outside the White House, the fist-pumping and chest-beating, I was dismayed by it all. For me, bin Laden's asassination was not a cause for celebration, but for somber reflection and relief.

Pete Bogs said...

Bird - I don't normally celebrate deaths, but he hit us low and bad and had to die.